Three City Alliance
Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and Portland are three dynamic destinations that share numerous positive attributes - compelling attractions, state-of-the-art convention facilities and a bone-deep commitment to outstanding customer service.
Because of our shared vision and commitment to provide the best convention product, VISIT Milwaukee, Visit Pittsburgh and Travel Portland formed the Three City Alliance in 2004. The alliance is based on synergies identified, including convention center size, sufficient number of hotels to house 1,100 to 1,500 on a peak night, range of convention services offered, and even location in proximity to rivers or lakes.
The alliance offers financial incentives and logistical efficiency, resulting in customer confidence that a consistent, high-quality experience can be reached in all three locations. After more than ten years, the alliance continues to be successful due to the mutual trust that has built up among the three destinations, as well as the flexibility and quality that can be offered to groups booking all three locations.
Milwaukee's prime Lake Michigan location, world-class attractions like the Harley-Davidson Museum and Milwaukee Art Museum and wide range of shopping, dining and nightlife options all add up to one out-of-the-ordinary meeting destination. Our state-of-the-art Wisconsin Center in the heart of the city is within easy walking distance of the RiverWalk, connecting entertainment districts with the trendy Historic Third Ward. Along with a thriving arts and culinary scene, museums, summer festivals, professional sports and more than 3,500 hotel rooms, Milwaukee has just what you're looking for: value, accessibility and the kind of Midwestern hospitality that makes you feel at home.
Pittsburgh is the ideal spot for your next meeting. With an accessible, walkable downtown and accommodations that practically plan the meeting for you, you will find one of Pittsburgh's many venues to be the perfect fit for your needs. After hours, there are more than 85 restaurants within a 15-minute walk of the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified David L. Lawrence Convention Center. Plus, Pittsburgh's Cultural District features five major world-class theaters, and our museums and galleries speak volumes about the city's cultural heritage.
Home to the LEED-EB Platinum certified Oregon Convention Center (and more LEED Platinum-certified buildings per capita than any other city in the United States), Green Seal certified major hotels and abundant natural spaces, Portland is known as the "#1 Greenest City in America" (Travel + Leisure, May 2015). The city's vibrant nightlife and award-winning dining offer delegates plenty to see and do. Portland assists planners with implementing eco-friendly strategies that support the organizational goals of the planner, boost attendance and save money. In 2008, Meetings & Conventions magazine inducted Travel Portland into the M&C's Gold Awards Hall of Fame, and we have won the M&C Gold Service Award for 14 consecutive years.
How the Partnership Works
- Book two or three cities and get $1 per room night from each contracted city for each year.
- Joint sales events, tradeshows and marketing initiatives.
- Both Sales and Convention Service staffs work closely together, making the sales process and servicing of the conventions seamless.
Key advantages for meeting planners
- Planners save time by working with three similar cities that communicate with each other regularly and are fully prepared for the group’s needs.
- For groups that require their conventions to rotate between several regions, the East/Midwest/West locations of Pittsburgh/Milwaukee/Portland are also ideal.
- Up to $3 per room night incentive for groups.
- Ability to do more and better quality customer events jointly with 3-city partners. An example is the customer event done in conjunction with ASAE.
Examples of groups who have booked 3-cities
- Society of Nutrition Education & Behavior: 1,400 attendees, held in Pittsburgh in 2013, Milwaukee 2014 and Portland in 2015.
- Prior: Ecological Society of America - Annual Meeting, Society for the Study of Reproduction - Annual Summer North American Convention, Society for Theriogenology - Annual Convention, The Wildlife Society - Annual Conference
For additional information on the three-city alliance, please contact Michael Smith, Vice President of Convention Sales, Travel Portland; Karl Pietrzak, Vice President of Convention Sales, Visit Pittsburgh; or Jeff Baryenbruch, Executive Director of Sales, VISIT Milwaukee.