Tailgating in Milwaukee
Baseball is the great American pastime. Home of the Brewers, Milwaukee has perfected the art of celebrating this quintessential experience with some good old-fashioned grilling and drinking. Follow this handy guide, and you’ll be ready to tailgate like a pro.
- 4-5 Medium White or Yellow Onions
- 1/4 Cup of Salted Butter
6 Pack of Beer
(insider tip: the cheaper, the better)
- Pack of Brats (12 Links)
- Cut your onions into rings.
- Combine butter, 5 of the beers & the onions in a large slow cooker or pot. Add the brats and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until brats are fully cooked.
- Throw the brats on the grill to brown them. Up your game by putting a few chunks of apple/hickory wood on the coals.
- Serve, or return the grilled brats to the pan to stay warm if necessary.
- Crack open that extra beer and toast to a job well done. Cheers!
10 Tailgate Musts
1. A Grill
It wouldn’t be a true Wisconsin tailgate without beer brats. The only way to get this done is with your tailgate grill.
2. A Beverage (or several)
Whether it’s soda, water or some six packs of craft beer, don’t forget to pack that cooler. Tailgating is thirsty business!
3. A Bottle Opener
This is the number one thing that people forget. Just don’t do it.
4. A Lighter/Charcoal
Put this in the grill the night before to make sure it doesn’t get lost in the shuffle.
5. Cornhole Board & Bags
A good ol’ fashioned bean bag toss is the preferred activity of veteran tailgaters.
6. Grilling Utensils
Don’t get stuck turning your brats with your hands – burns are nobody’s friend!
7. Napkins/Hand Sanitizer
You will be touching raw meat and condiments and chips and cookies. Do yourself a favor and bring napkins and hand sanitizer to keep everyone safe and clean.
8. A Jacket
While Miller Park, home of the Brewers, has a retractable roof, it can get chilly tailgating.
9. A Small Purse
No one wants to wait in a line to get a purse checked. Bring a small purse or wristlet – this will save your entire crew some time.
10. Your Game Face
Possibly the most important thing. Get excited – you’re going to see the Brewers at Miller Park!