Getting Here & Around
From planes, trains and automobiles, it’s easy to get to Milwaukee. The city is located just 90 minutes north of Chicago and within a day’s drive of one-third of the U.S. population, with a highly-ranked airport just 8 miles from downtown. So plan a road trip, hop on an Amtrak train or catch a flight to Milwaukee – it just might be a quicker trip than you think.
Milwaukee is conveniently located 100 miles north of Chicago at the intersection of I-94 and I-43. The award-winning $810 million Marquette Interchange completed in 2008 assures optimal downtown highway traffic flow.
|City||Distance (in miles)||Drive Time (in hours)|
|Green Bay, WI||120||1.75|
|Grand Rapids, MI||275||4.5|
|Des Moines, IA||370||5.5|
|St. Louis, MO||375||6|
Fly to Milwaukee’s General Mitchell International Airport non-stop from 36 cities and from 106 with just one stop. General Mitchell International Airport (MKE) is 10 minutes from downtown and offers Milwaukee-bound travelers lower fares and more options than ever, including:
- 8 airlines serving up to 35 cities non-stop nationwide
- 300 daily departures and arrivals
- Top carriers like Frontier Airlines, AirTran Airways, Delta and Southwest Airlines
- 8 on-premise auto rental agencies
- Ranked by Conde Nast as one of the top five business airports three years in a row
- Hub for all ground transportation services including taxis, shuttles, Amtrak and public transit
More ways to visit Milwaukee
The Milwaukee Intermodal Station serves as the hub for Amtrak and Greyhound Bus Service and features:
- 14 total Amtrak departures daily between Chicago and Milwaukee and daily direct departures between Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Amtrak connections through Chicago to over 500 cities nationwide
- Recent $17 million renovation featuring a glass-enclosed galleria
- For more information, visit http://www.amtrak.com or http://www.greyhound.com
- Bus Service to Chicago Airports
- Wisconsin Coachlines provides a relaxing and stress-free ride to Midway or O'Hare Airports. http://www.coachusa.com/wisconsincoach/
The Lake Express Ferry is a state-of-the-art vessel linking Milwaukee with Muskegon, Michigan. The two-hour trip offers passengers a faster and more direct route than driving south around Lake Michigan through the Chicago area. http://www.lake-express.com
Taxi fare from airport to downtown hotels is approximately $21 each way. Convenient, low-cost airport shuttle services are available 24 hours.
For more information on Milwaukee County Transit, please visit www.ridemcts.com.
For more information on parking in downtown, please visit www.parkmilwaukee.com.